From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 1996 07:32:33 -0400
  REGARDING           RE>harvesting honey

W. Allen Dick writes:
>We try to extract before any significant amount of capping takes
>place unless ambient moisture is high (Rainy weather, etc.)

>Chances are greater of accidentally extracting nectar during a flow
>if cells are uncapped - - especially if honey is pulled  late in the
>day, however uncapped honey *can* be quite ripe and ready to extract.

>If we waited until all the cells were capped here, we would be
>dealing with honey at 14 - 15% moisture.  Far too dry.

Well, I am amazed.  I learn something every day on this list, and I guess it
has a lot to do with one's location.  My grandfather used to use a rule of
thumb, to wait until the frames were at least half capped (this was in
eastern Wisconsin).  My experience (in southeastern Michigan) is that such
frames are almost always far too wet.  I go with the other postings here that
allow about 10 - 20%(at most) uncapped cells.  Obviously, if nectar can be
shaken out, the frames are nowhere near ready to extract.

However, I have never had any experience with honey as dry as 14-15%.  This
amazes me, and I can only explain it by geographical factors.  You are indeed
fortunate, if you don't have to worry about wet honey and can extract when
the bees begin to cap.  I have to wait until capping is almost complete, and
then have to hurry to get the honey off so I can put in the Apistan.

Ted Fischer