From:
marian pintilie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 01:19:54 +0300
Kim Flottum wrote:

> *In discussions on this topic with Honey Board Staff, it was determined that, indeed, no single definition for raw honey exists. For commercially raw honey, the standards are set between buyer and seller, and a standard minimum processing temperature does not exist.

Maybe the next information is useful:

My brother sent to a lab  three samples of honey for analysis,and
one of values is so called HMF. They said that is a kind of ash.
That value increase due heating , so heating can be detected precisely.

here are the figures:

                   sample 1       sample 2     sample 3
water                15.2            15.2         17.0
inverted sugar       73.5            72.5         71.5
saccharose            6.0             7.0          7.0
diastasic value      13.9            13.9         23.8
HMF                   0.3             0.1          0.4

( these was posted before on Bee-L because my brother wanted more
informations, but got none)

So here is HMF is between 0.1 and 0.4.

0.1 is for honey uncapped with a fork (unheated at all)
One of other two was uncapped with a heated knife.Which one I don't
know.
so , heating the whole mass of honey will increase that HMF very
visible

At lab told the admisile value. but I forgot it,I suppose it was 1.2
or 2.1

Does anybody know more?

we are interested in all what mean honey analysis, not only HMF,
water, inverted sugar etc.

tnx for your time.

Costel

Costel Pintilie                  <[log in to unmask]>
= Secretary of a beekeeper       *     D O N' T  W O R R Y
= Go player                      *       B E E  H A P P Y
= Computer addicted              *        C O U L D  B E:
= Citizen of a society of slaves *
= Son of a bee                   *
= Vegetarian                     *  *   * *  *  * * *** *** ***
= Starving                       *    **   **   * * **    * *
= Still happy                    *    **   **    *  * * *** ***