From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 16:15:09 -0800
George Williams <[log in to unmask]> wrote: I would like to re-coat some of my plastic frames.  I've tried a few  home
remedies, none of which is satisfactory.

Is there a satisfactory method that is not too costly to tool up for  that I
can do this with?

I have thought about this dilemma and, while not having tried it yet, think it will work.  You will need a pot big enough to be able to submerge your frames, or sheets of plastic foundation, to at least the bottom of the top bar.  Fill the pot mostly with water and then a layer of wax on the top.  Think bees wax melts around 147º F.  Keep water temp just above the melting point of the wax.  Dip your plastic foundation down into the wax/water until the wax layer just touches the bottom of the top bar.  Pull the frame out of the water and the floating wax should leave a coating of wax on the cold plastic foundation.  The thickness of the wax layer would depend, IMHO, on how fast you dip the sheet of foundation.  The hotter the plastic gets, the thinner the layer of wax that adheres.  If the layer of wax is too thick, heat the water just a little hotter.

From what I have read though, the more wax the bees have to work with, the faster they get the foundation drawn out.

Mike in LA