Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:35:12 GMT
>>I have seen and heard about more fall supersedure swarms this year than ever before – a lot with virgin queens...

I had an interesting development.  I raised a young queen to try to overwinter in a strong nuc as a spare for next spring.  She's a Carniolan daughter and of good size.  She started laying a few days ago.  I checked on her yesterday and found a very nice, larger-than-expected pattern and a couple of queen cells at the bottom of a frame with eggs.

I was surprised to find queen cells at this time of the year.  I've been feeding this nuc to give it plenty of winter stores.  Perhaps they feel a bit crowded and think they should prepare to swarm... although they still have a frame they are drawing out.

I suppose this behavior could be genetic.  Her mother's hive typically has a single queen cell most of the time.  I've heard Russian bees typically maintain a back-up queen cell but I have not seen/heard of this behavior with the Carniolans.  Has anyone seen this?

Waldemar
Long Island, NY