From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2018 09:05:41 -0500
>I agree.  My question relating to the above is why take all these surveys on survival rates when I believe most hobbyists aren’t involved with surveys? But there >are a plethora of published data that states just what Mike questioned.

When BIP first started it really seemed like a good idea,  figure out how to keep beekeeping statistics and apply it to research.  Since then it appears to me, the only goal is sensationalism and continued funding.  I have a hard time believing the people involved, are not smart enough to figure out what they are doing.  Some of there work is great and really cool  so I know they are darn smart.  Unfortunately last year when they came out with the "explanation" of why there numbers are different than the other survey,  it became clear to me they are either intentionally obtuse,  or make Sheldon Cooper look normal. (reference to TV show for those who have never seen "big Bang Theory")

Pondering it last night you have to really understand even the hobby people have the same problem I mentioned with math,  if you split your hive over summer, and loose one in the winter  do you really have 50% loss?   Unwillingness to accept the gains also  makes that number dubious at best,  deceitful at worst. And yet that’s the basis for continued funding.   While I am all for more bee research,  its been hard to get behind this one lately.  They have done some great work with pollen samples and wax contamination information.

Right now I am frustrated as they have a TON of data on actual pesticide issues and locations, and wont share it at least as of yet.  They have tested my hives for 4 years, as well as MANY others  and have some great data.  My guess is it doesn’t show the right picture to make it worth sharing, but its jus a guess.

>Not only survival surveys but surveys on AFB.   NYS tries to keep a chart on how often AFB pops up but how many beekeepers truly inform the State that this >happened in their hives? Unfortunately not too many.

IL does this also,  and its been quite a while since the last AFB report in the state.  They report the numbers every year at the state meeting.  Last few years they have been adding EFB to the report,  and it appears this year they may add mite count data.(in the works)

Charles