Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 13:18:04 GMT
>>two hives, one on the East side and another on the South side.  ...
On the East side, the combs were ... oriented North - South,
parallel to the siding I removed.  ... on the South side, the frames
were perpendicular to the siding, but still oriented North - South.

Thinking about, I recall most - something like 70% - of the ferals I've seen had the combs oriented north-south.  I wonder if this is due to the bees' preference for south-facing entrances, when available, and orienting combs perpendicular to the entrances...

On the other hand, in the same feral cavities I've seen both south-north and east-west oriented comb and every other orientation in between.

It seems bees prefer to orient the comb perpendicular to the entrance in the area closest to the entrance.  The direction often gradually deviates further into the cavity.  I've seen this often with nests in the eaves of houses where rafters often mark the change in orientation.

In trees, cavities often have two or more 'chambers' and the comb orientation seems to follow the chamber orientation that favors the widest comb I think.

I believe the comb orientation is 'decided' by the bees with the swarm size and needs as well.  If the swarm is on the small side and needs to conserve heat - as in a cool spring - in a drafty cavity, it will orient the combs sometimes to shield against the draft.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY