From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:47:40 -0500
Hello Brian & All,
Obviously there are no real label police as I stood up and told a member of
the USDA at a joint meeting of the KHPA ,MSB, MBA & NEKB. The beekeepers
stood and cheered.

Here are my views:

>I see more and more products being labeled as GMO free, like potato chips
>(even though there are no GMO potato varieties on the market).

 These people need to be forced to stop the deception.

>This makes me wonder if most USA honey contains pollen from GMO crops and
>if in the market place would not be considered gmo free..

All large packers could use the GMO free label as i have taken tours and
have been assured every piece of pollen is filtered out by their process.
The
purpose of ultrafilteration to remove pollen is to prevent  crystallization.
Crystallization I was told  happens faster when pollen grains are honey. In
fact the largest packer uses diatamacious earth to filter with.

>I'm now on the lookout for "gmo free" honey labels on the shelf as yet
>another marketing pitch!

I hate "pitch" unless for a *sound reason*. I am able these days to sell all
the honey I can produce at retail prices. Honey in drums is now around
$1.60-1.70 U.S. for top grade.

 I could put a label on my honey that the honey contains no HFCS ( as I do
not feed HFCS).  Even though against the law to add HFCS to honey those
feeding will end up with some in their honey as proven by coloring the HFCS.

I think today in health food stores the concern over HFCS is greater than
concern would be over GMO pollen. Also ultrafilteration would be the only
way I see you could be sure no GMO pollen was in the honey and I no of no
health food store which will except ultra filtered or pasteurized honey.

Many (including myself ) will not buy products with high HFCS content and
prefer none at all. Many people feel the same way as I do.

I use no beet or cane sugar and sweeten with honey and cook with honey. I
have a customer which drinks a cup of my honey a day and reports excellent
health and untold energy!

I eat fresh vegetables and fruits everyday.

Jack Lalaine ( age 95) was on Fox News today and in prefect health. Waldo
McBurney was in excellent health at 106 when he passed in August. Both say
the key to good health is eating right and exercise.

I would add low body fat as a key to good health also.

 My two cents worth.

America is obese my friends.

bob