From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2010 22:57:54 -0400
Pernal, S.F., A. Ibrahim & A.P. Melathopoulos - DISINFECTION OF NOSEMA CERANAE-CONTAMINATED COMB BY IRRADIATION, ACETIC ACID FUMIGATION AND HEAT  ( presented at the 2010 American Bee Research Conference in Orlando, FL. )

> Though mechanisms of transmission for N. ceranae are not well understood, we hypothesized that decontamination of comb could be an important non-chemotherapeutic technique for managing this organism. We undertook an examination of new techniques of comb sterilization in addition to those previously demonstrated to be effective at suppressing Nosema apis.

> Separation among treatments diminished until 16 July when spore levels among all treatments, including those untreated, remained below 100,000 spores per bee. Considerable variability and increases in spore levels for the acetic acid fumigation and heat treatments were observed during the fall and early winter months.

Is it just a coincidence that there is no mention of bleach in this presentation? -- PLB