From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 01:54:35 -0600
> > Anyhow.  The most foolproof method to deal with laying workers is to
> > combine the colony with a good one, and split again in several days
> > or weeks --
>
> But remember this only works in spring! Doing it in the autumn will
> have the reverse effect, no queen left at all.

Hmmm.  Can't say that I've ever heard of that -- not to say that it's not
true -- just that I haven't heard of of or noticed it.  We've often
combined miscellaneous hives in fall without noticing this effect.  Has
anyone else had this experience?

> And it wouldn't be any good even if the queen would survive, when the
> bees from the queenless colony are too old to make it through winter
> anyway.

True.  I guess it did not ocur to me that someone might be considering
fall splits, especially since it is currently spring in my area.  I
suppose such splits might work in an area where fall splits work --
assuming that the queen is not lost as you suggest -- however fall splits
are usually unsuccessful in areas with long severe winters.

As for the old bees, I suspect they might do some good in getting the hive
organised for winter, but would dwindle out during winter.  I know some
beekeepers suggest deliberately losing old bees before winter by several
artificial means.  This is advocated for various reasons including acarine
control, however I personally think that the more bees there are --
regardless of age -- the better.

Allen