From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:47:59 -0700
James Fischer wrote:

> Despite the fact of CCD's complete indifference to
> "management practices", and despite the clear
> consensus on this point for over a year now, there
> are those with a personal agenda who can't stop
> asking questions like the one above.  They just
> can't help but think that practices with which
> they do not agree are behind CCD.

Yes and ironically, the academic community itself is sometimes
the root source of sensational claims of "catastrophic" losses
in the USA due to CCD as well as the speculation that
"management practices" are behind CCD. Example:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/nature/
Why are bees dying? September 6, 2007

Dr. Peter Kevan, an associate professor of environmental
biology at the University of Guelph in Ontario, told
CBCNews.ca in April 2007 that CCD in the United States
is "an absolute catastrophe".

"We've been pushing them too hard," Kevan told CBCNews.ca.
And we're starving them out by feeding them artificially and
moving them great distances." Kevan was referring to the
practices of migratory beekeepers, who transport hundreds
of thousands of beehives across the continent on flatbed
trucks to pollinate crops in different states, which causes
enormous stress on the bees.

He conducted a study on bee ailments that lists stress
factors such as confinement, temperature fluctuations
and mechanical vibrations during transport, which are
upsetting to the bees, akin to jet lag on airplane travellers.