From:
Logan Vanleigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 1995 08:04:06 -0500
> what problems with neighbours have you encountered?
>How did you handle them?

Only problem I had was bees watering at a neighbor's pool.  That was my
fault, and as soon as I provided them water near the hive they quit.  I gave
the neighbor a quart of honey as soon as I had some and they were quite
happy w/ the arrangement.

>From a legal point of view, if a kid gets stung down the block from you and
>dies because he/she was allergic to bees, what would happen?

They'd have to prove it was your bee.

>What if a kid runs onto your yard and into the hive?

Tresspassing is illegal.
I put a 4' chicken wire fence around mine and hung shade cloth on that to
force the bees' flight path above the level of young kids and dogs (we had
one of each) and it worked like a charm.

>Where would you keep the hive on a lot relative to the house?

I put mine in a back corner of the yard, but we had an alley between back yards.

Get a hive and have fun as we did.  I used to sit beside (NOT in front of)
the entrance leaning on the hive w/ my 2-year-old on my lap and watch the
bees for hours.  The biggest challenge was teaching Robyn that you can't pet
bees the way you do a dog.

Logan VanLeigh
Just getting back into beekeeping after a 3-year hiatus.