From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2013 20:24:03 -0500
All

My experience is that a lot of environmental factors, often beyond anyone's
 control enter into the quality of queens from any supplier in any year.

Besides the obvious issues of how well the bees are managed and  whether
pests like mites are controlled, there are the variables of bad  weather, poor
nutrition, and less obvious problems like Nosema.  Many of  the packages we
received last year had very high levels of nosema, and we had an  unusually
high percent of queen failures and replacements.

Shipping can also be hard on queens.  I've seen shippers put queen  cages
in plastic bags to keep them from 'getting' loose, or dropping them into  an
unheated truck, or onto a radiator 'to help the bees keep warm'.

You the customer can do something about this last variable.  Buy  a
temperature data logger - it can be as cheap as a max/min recorder from  Walmart or
Radio Shack, or as sophisticated as a HOBO or comparable, continuous
temperature data logger.  SEND it to your queen provider, ask that it  be
included in the shipment  of the queen(s) to you.  When you get the  queen(s),
check to see if the temp ever got very cold or very hot.  If so,  contact the
shipper, ask for them to pay for a replacement; and let the queen  supplier
know.

Also, have your queen producer label the package - stating - Caution,
Temperature Sensitive Shipment, Data Logger Included.  That can do wonders  for
handling.

Jerry