From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2012 02:55:27 -0400
On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Mike Rossander <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Peter may know but I sure don't.  Oxalic acid is one of the simplest
> chemicals out there - H2C2O4.  I am not aware of any isomers or of
> any other chemicals sharing that common name.  The only differences I know
> of are in purity and concentration.  What "types" of oxalic acid are there?

I agree there are no isomers.  But the most common form is the crystals,
which are a dihydrate, I think, (H2C2O4.2H20).  Then there is an anhydrous
powder.  I  believe that most dosing formulas use amounts calculated on the
dihydrate, but really this should be specified, as it affects the dose.
The anhydrous powder contains more active ingredient than the crystals when
you dribble or vaporize per gram used.

I would be grateful for more accounts of how people are finding their bees
react to multiple treatments during times of the year when bees are NOT
broodless.  Apparently the bee vital is claiming you use it regularly, and
it is the one chemical that beekeepers in remote villages of the
Philippines can access, as it is very commonly used for stain removal in
laundry.  Last year I tracked down the source of the little packets in the
markets to 25 kilo bags from China usually in a large local Chinese
hardware store.  The tag on the bags claims 99.6 percent purity.

Stan