From:
Ernest Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 18:48:44 PST
Hello Gang,

The subject title here is pronounced locally:

Haaad tellin not knowin !!

Just to give you some local color and appreciation of
the New England accent. ;-)

The real subject here is gleaning information by hands on
or asking experienced beekeepers about points of interest.

Our local bee club meets just once a month, and sometimes
skips a month or two. I need to ask some question regarding
wiring frames vs support pins.

It didn't occur to me just how expensive pins were until
I bought them for 20 deep supers. At a cost of $0.04433
per pin, x 8 pins per frame, this comes to $0.35464 per
frame, x 10 frames , this comes out to  $3.55 per box.

Conversely wire, including eyelets, can be done for $0.48
per box less the cost of the tools and jig for putting
the wire into the foundation electrically. The savings
in using wire is enough to pay for the tools and jig.

I wish I had asked some one about this before I bought
the pins. Using wire is more work, but not that much
more, especially considering the cost.

Cost not withstanding, I would like to know your
opinions on which is better for Brood, and extracting?

My guess is that wire makes a stronger frame, and is
worth the added trouble. I also am guessing that using pins for
brood frames would be ok because they would not be
subjected to the stresses of extraction.
But what the heck, if I'm wiring for extraction,
why not just do them both.

I plan to use Western supers (Illinois) for extracting, 6-5/8" which
contain 6-1/4" frames with just two holes for support.
What is your experience with these frames using pins,
and also using wire for support?

de AA1IK,

Ernie Gregoire

R.R. 1, Box 221,