From:
Glenn woemmel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2018 06:33:54 -0500
Randy
I think you are missing my question.  It was why there were no other verification on mels claim that when the queen first started laying, the mites would fill the first cells and the would kill the larva and themselves.  You said it would be easy to check and so I thought about it and if it happens as explained by mel in this video at the 57 minute mark.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoUA0KLtgSk

He says you would only have about two hours before the bees cleaned it up to have been able to see it.  I Don't think purple eyed stage answers this.

You did hit on it with the answer you gave that the larva would not live with seven mites on it.  I am just trying to see if it is excepted or not on mels claim that the mites fill the first 500 cells laid by a new queen and kill them selves and the larva.

I only have eight hives.  The last two years I have been in them every 5 to 10 days.  I make an effort to not get in them but every ten days but some times can't wait and so thing of excuses that make it happen earlier.  That leaves quite a bit of computer time.  I am trying to get in my hives less not more and faster when I do get in them.  I expect to get to where glances give me more info then deep dives do now but admit to not being there yet.

Now I admit that reading hard for a year before I even got bees did not prepare me for when I got in the hive but kind of figure over all it has helped lots more then not though I am still pretty lost, I can find the queen, I can not see eggs.  I don't pull every brood frame or count brood frames every time I get in but I do get in and get an over view and try and learn.

I had seen your link that you posted but thank you much for it cause there are lots I have not seen and even more that I have seen but not understood.
I think the point of your link when put with the other links in discussion is that mites might not be fertilized as easily in old comb but more mites find old comb easier then new.

I looked at your mite model but have not played with it and my first glance made it seem intimidating to use but since I have not given it a chance yet I am not sure.  I did see your question on here of whether a simple model was needed or not for beginners.  I don't have a view on that question yet.  I know it has gotten rave reviews and some discussion on the beescource forum.

Cheers
gww