From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 2009 10:40:05 +0100
Hi Peter

My apologies to the moderator for repetition, but as Peter's reply
totally misrepresents what I said, I include all of it...

> I am sure there are a lot of very good reasons for allowing bees to build
> natural comb in the hives we keep. There are also a lot of very good reasons
> for using foundation, regardless of cell size. Each must weigh and decide.

I made no suggestion of using natural comb.

I agree that there are many good reasons for using foundation, but why
not use foundation that is based on research rather than the historical
legacy sizes that we have available ? Why not use cell sizes that are
appropriate to the races of bees that are being kept ?

> My own preference is for pure beeswax foundation, properly hand wired. These
> combs will be strong enough for most purposes and can be easily cut out and
> rendered, and replaced, unlike plastic based fdn.

I fail to understand how this sentence fits into the discussion.

There are aspects of cell size that are not understood, many claim to
'know' the answers, so why should we not pursue the matter in order to
stimulate proper research and establish the truth in terms that we
scientists and informed beekeepers can understand ?

The situation is not helped by those that have made a 'bandwagon' or
'holy grail' out of some aspects of cellsize that might have given the
topic a bad reputation, many of those on this list tend to 'switch off'
at the mere mention of cellsize, however I think the time is right to do
the real experimental work that should have been done in the first place.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://melliferabees.net Email: [log in to unmask]
Short FallBack M/c, Build 7.21/2.01
Son of ORAC M/c, Build 5.o1/2.o1