From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:06:16 -0500
Hello Stan & All,
Stan wrote:
 The problem is that imidacloprid is metabolized in the bee and most can not
 be detected after four hours.
This IS the reason why proving the Imidacloprid is the cause of death is so
very hard.  No * smoking gun*!   My brother ( lawyer) says beekeepers will
have a hard time proving their case IF the chemical companies chose to
fight.
Stan wrote:
 So sampling the bees is not effective.   The  place that is a good place to
look is freshly gathered maple pollen from a  pollen trap on a hive.
Samples should be frozen and *PROTECTED FROM  SUNLIGHT*.

We need a bit more information here.  Water tests alone for Imidacloprid are
expensive.  Approx $100 per test plus shipping to Columbia, Missouri.  Is
there a lab testing pollen in the U.S. for Imidacloprid?  If so what are the
costs?  Can we send suspect samples to the EPA for free testing?  I wonder
if state bee inspectors could be provided the equipment to test the pollen?
I wonder if the government bee labs could not test the pollen for
Imidacloprid?
Usually these solutions happen with time BUT usually after a huge number of
hives have been lost.
Bob