From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2015 10:48:33 -0500
> Beekeepers who moved their bees across state lines (migratory beekeepers) or managed stationary colonies in several states (multi-state beekeepers) are not included in specific state losses

Right. These statistical presentations are so heavily weighted with selection bias as to be near meaningless. Many NYS beekeepers experience no winter loss because they take their bees to Florida where its already spring. Many of those bkprs experience heavy losses in summer and rebuild their numbers down there while our bees are buried in snow and ice.

But the most significant thing is this: many beekeepers attempt to overwinter substandard colonies. Before the movable frame hive it was common to cull heavily in the fall, up to 60-70 percent. That means only ideal colonies would be overwintered and the others would be "harvested."

Even in the 20th century beekeepers were advised to cull in the fall to reduce "winter losses." If you cull 15% in the fall and lose 15%, or don't cull and lose 30% in winter, the loss is the same in reality but the winter loss statistic is lower. However, if the winter is mild, you end up with more live colonies in spring than if you had culled, that's why we do it that way.

PLB