From:
Stephen Bambara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1993 12:40:52 -0400
From: Ed Bachmann <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Help, Bees not Moving into Observation Hive
To: Multiple recipients of list BEE-L <[log in to unmask]>

We set up an observation hive at 8:00pm last night and
at 9:00am this morning only about 15% of the bees have
moved from the shipping cage into the hive.

Should we just wait for them to move over or is there any
way to induce them to move?  Can you think of anything we
might have done wrong?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Ed, here are mine..
        Ask yourself, Why the heck SHOULD they move in?
  What have you given them?
Is this a package of bees that you are trying to install into a
frame and 1/2 observation hive?  Is the queen still in the shipping cage?
Is there drawn comb or only foundation?  Do you have too many bees?
  We need more info.

        My suggestion would be to DUMP the bees into the observation
hive outside.  When all or most are inside the observation hive, close
it up, carry it inside and install it in the window/wall.  If the queen
is still in the cage, make sure the bees are not balling her or biting
on the wire screen.  If they are not, you could release her and watch to see
what happens.  If they are, go through the normal introduction process.
        A better idea is to install them into a nuc until they are
established and then move the frames into the observation hive.