From:
Ivan McGill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 01:01:55 -0400
>I bought a cheap Harbor Freight illuminated magnifier to try grafting with
>this year.Didnt work out as it made it too difficult to judge the right
>size of larvae.But it works good for checking varroa on sticky boards.
> My favorite light source is a little 2 AAA cell Pelican flashlight.Used
>with reading glasses(didnt used to need them)I can see perfectly into the
>cell and the Chinese tool scoops em right up,royal jelly and all.I like the
>JZ BZ plastic cell cups,but still make a lot of my own from homemade
>dipping sticks.See,queen raising neednt be expensive.Just bail right in,you
>will have failures,but success too.
>---Mike

Hi:

I have never used the Jenter system.

I use a double 0 paint brush for grafting, which I have used ever since I
raised queens off and on for the last 20 year. I do it when I make time.

My light source is a used reading lamp that swivels. I drilled a hole in a
2x4 on a board on an old super to put the reading lamp in. I bought a 12V
lamp the same size as a regular bulb. Then added wire to the plug long
enough to reach my truck battery, then added clamps.

That is in the back of my pickup which is a Chev S15, 11 years old so it is
notjacked up like the new trucks. With a canopy with the the door up. Then
I put some black plastic around the door so it hangs down to block out the
light. The side windows are also covered with black plastic. Then you can
go under the black plastic because it only hangs down to just above the
ground. I have a frame which I lay the frame against so I can graft. It may
not be perfect but it works for me.

It may take a little time to set the system up but once done, less than 5
minutes to get started.

Ivan