From:
Lionel Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2012 09:35:06 -0600
Hi Mike,

In the middle 80's I worked at Nine Mile 2 Power house at Oswego. I know
first hand the winters there.

Moisture is often caused by lack of ventilation. Is there a way you can
raise the rear of the

hive in the clip at least 1/2"? I make my bottom boards with the rear 1/2"
higher than the front.

I do this by cutting the side rail grove angled down to the front by the
1/2".

If the top cover is totally closed, this will cause moisture to form inside.
If you can raise the

top cover about 1/4", this will allow the moisture to escape before causing
problems.

Here in North Alabama, I use 1/2" hardware cloth to keep mice out and most
all hives are

open in the entrance totally. I use telescoping covers with the rear raised
to the top of the inner cover.

Our winters are mild with temps only getting to 0" once every few years.

Normally we have lows in the teens and highs close to 40 daily.

Ventilation is very important, with drainage also.

Lionel

North Alabama