From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 14:48:24 -0400
>        My question is this:  Would it be safe to use the remaining moldy brood
>foundation for my second hive of package bees arriving this Spring?  Any
>thoughts would be appreciated.

Hives that die over the winter are generally pretty disgusting looking.
However, when you clean the frames up a bit and give them to new bees they
generally do a remarkable job of cleaning them up.  It takes them energy of
course and new packages should be installed on the best combs available first.

Recent postings to the list have convinced me that fumigating the combs with
acetic acid will be a worthwhile effort in reducing the loading of nosema
spores.

Regards, Stan