From:
Karen DeHond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 15:34:44 -0400
Hi folks,
  Am just finishing my first season and am receiving conflicting advice from
my mentors so thought I'd pick your collective brains.

1.  One mentor wants to harvest about Labor Day, this is in upstate NY,
frost hits about 9/29 most years.    I'm inclined to think we could wait a
couple of weeks.

2.  The other mentor says NEVER use Terramyacin.  If foul brood is present
it won't work and otherwise it weakens the bees resistance.  ???

3.  Once the honey supers are removed, what keeps the bees from feeling
crowded and starting to swarm?

4.  When should I winterize the hives?

5.  Of 11 hives 2 aren't too big, my thought is to leave them alone and see
what spring brings, any ideas?

6. Have been told to put apistan (2 strips/hive body) in when I close the
hives along with menthol (1 pkg/body) and not to treat in spring. Does this
sound ok?

Hope I haven't asked too many questions but am getting confused.

Thanks to all and great luck with your honey harvests.

Karen DeHond
Upstate NY