From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 1995 06:24:56 -0700
 > Allen, I am as concerned as you are about the right amount of top
> insulation  to use. You say you want to use the normal telescopic
> lid during the winter. This what I did when I wrapped my hives as
> singles but how can you use this  lid if you pack by groups of four
> hives?

Well, a lot of the fellows out here, are going to telescoping lids
with a 1 or 1 1/2 inch slab of styrofoam in the lid.  The hives are
pushed together, but the air gap of 1  1/2 inches remains between the
hives themselves when the lids are tight together.

They then wrap the hives up, not worrying about the fact that air
can and does circulate up from under the wrap somewhat.

Some do have a wooden strip on the sides and back of each floor that
provides some seal and also serves to center the brood box on the
floor during handling.  Others have solid pallet/floors that
disallow air flow. However - no matter how it is done - closed or
open - the air space does not seem to affect success at all.  This is
counter-intuitive, isn't it?

Barrie Termeer has been doing something similar with two hives side
by side - facing south, except that he uses a garbage bag with R12 or
R20 (can't remember) under his normal summer lid - right on top of
the frames.

He uses two 3/4 inch square by 12 inch long (as I recall) under the
bags about 2/3 of the way from the front and back to lift the bag
off the frames to allow for communication over the top bars and then
wraps the back and east and west sides of the two hive group with a
plastic wrap with R20? insulation.  The black plastic extends around
the front and covers completely.

He has only the normal auger hole open for air.

His wintering success is consistently excellent, and he is north of
me - near Edmonton.
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0  Internet:[log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, Art, & Futures <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>