From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:52:56 -0400
Clayton wondered about breeders of the New World Carnolians.

Clayton, New World Carnolian is a registered trademark for a specific strain
of bees developed by Sue Cobey.  In addition to herself, queens are only
available from four US breeders, see
http://iris.biosci.ohio-state.edu/honeybee/breeding/NWC.html.  (There is a
lot more worth seeing on this web site.)

That said, there are a number of good breeders of carnolian strains in the
Northeast.  Most are in Canada, but one is not too far from you.  He is Kirk
Webster, Box 381, Middlebury, VT 05753.  802-758-2501.  He always sells out,
so nucs should be ordered now, and queens no later than January 31.

If you need early queens you are pretty much limited to those breeders in
California.  If you can wait until June or July, you might want to try stock
from the Northeast, even though they are not NWC's.  Personally, I order 40
or so queens from Calif. to arrive late April and then split my later orders
between the breeders in the Northeast and California.  In general, I think
the Calif. NWC's are more gentle, and overwinter just as well, compared to
the Northeast carnolian queens.  However, mid-summer queens from the
Northeast seem to be accepted better than those from Calif., where
mid-summer temperatures are in the 100's for days on end!

Lloyd
Mailto:[log in to unmask]
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
Visit our web site at http://www.rossrounds.com.