From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 07:59:37 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>  Do wild turkeys eat enough
> bees to be a problem?   I wished I had a camera Fri morning,
> there was 1 or 2 birds perched on top of each hive.
Hi Matt,
I guess you should be glad they are not roosting on your head! Wild
turkeys get brave in Missouri out of season! Kidding!
Seriously i have never had a problem with birds. Put some blood meal or
something which blows in the wind around the hives  and they should
leave the area.
I have had shunk problems many times. They scratch up the boxes,eat many
bees and make the bees in a bad mood all the time. Once i even had to
move a yard because the skunks wouldn't leave the bees alone no matter
what i did. Is it true like the old timers say if you pick a skunk up
off the ground by his tail he can't spray you? A beekeeper told us once
if you took a skunk and picked him up by his tail and walked as far as
you could and thru him he wouldn't be back to bother your bees. i
haven't been able to quite build up the nerve to try that approach to
skunks in the bee yard!
Bob harrison
Missouri,U.S.A.