From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2018 13:11:28 -0500
> Pete, is a dequeened swarm not a different animal from a package? In the former, the retinue has chosen to move with the queen. In the latter, she is an unrelated interloper.

I would say: yes and no. The question is what do bees do when separated from their queen. So, a swarm and a package may be similar in that regard. Also, if the bees and queen have been together in the package for several days, they may have already "bonded." At least we hope so.

As far as soaking the bees prior to installing them, that may keep them from flying out right away but if the weather is good, they may still fly out and get disoriented once they dry off. Installing very late in the day and then rain for a few days is best, if you can arrange it.

PLB