From:
Michael Housel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 00:06:27 EDT
       If you are going to raise beetles cheap you might want to remove honey
and extract it that day.  The increase of bees on the brood box will give you
more to herd the beetles up.  1/6 screen will let the beetles go thur without
letting the bees.  Sticky boards that are spaced apart with pollin to attract
the beetles will trap them.  This works best on the top of the hives.
Bottomless hives will let the trash get to the ground which you have already
sprayed.  I used a pan with water in it and counted the floaters.
       Helpful hints glue all corners, dip lids in coppertox, extract honey
as soon as possible, don't mess with brood box as it will set the beetles to
laying.   Shake out bees from effected hives that are lost and 1/6 screen
floor with sticky board and pollen to remove any beetles.  Nuc them with
enough bees to cover both sides of frames and outer edge frames must not be
drawn.  Spray cover the outside frames with sugar water to feed.  Put a new
queen or queen cell in nuc.  Hopefully nucs will be enough to cover the
loses of hives.
       I am sure of one thing a hammer will get the beetles and you may feel
better but the hive will be destoried.
       We need a portable beetle vaccum that is screened to save the bees but
get the beetles inside it.  I used one to collect the beetles at home but not
 able to get it to the sites I have bees now.  City code enforcement won't
let me have bees at home anymore.  Never had more that 3 hives at home
anyhow.
       Michael Housel      Orlandobee       Beetle music is dancin not
listening music.