Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:52:37 -0400
I'm not sure but I believe there was an article several years ago concerning
the use of radiation sterilization of bee equipment.  This is a published
scientific paper and was either in the American Bee Journal or the Bee
Culture magazine here in the US.  I believe that Dr Hunt at Purdue
University, LaFayette, IN. USA may know about this paper and could source it
for you or Dr. Keith Delaplane at the University of Georgia USA could source
it for you.

Also, I believe the State of Virginia in the USA may allow for ethylene oxide
sterilzation of bee equipment that is foul brood infected.  I would suggest
contacting the State of Virginia Agriculture Department concerning this
policy.  Ethylene Oxide, (ETO), is a toxic gas for humans and a carcinogen.
 It is also not so good for the atmosphere so companies are slowly getting
away from it for other sources of sterilization.

Radiation sterilization is used extensively by the medical device industry
and there are probably facilities in your country that could handle bee
equipment for sterilization.  It does not harm metal or wood equipment but
might harm some types of plastic.  Unlike ETO there are not residues to worry
about.  Both types of sterilization are relatively expensive, so you would
need to be saving a high monetary amount of contaminated equipment to make it
worthwhile.

Let me know how you fair on this good luck.

Bill Nelson
North Liberty, IN. USA
AKA: [log in to unmask]