From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 10:33:11 -0400
Before trusting your CD-R media, read some of the research that has been
done. Some of the very cheap brand media lasts for only 3-4 years. The 100
year claims have never been tested, but I would still go with one of those
brands and make duplicates. This way, you don't have to worry as much that
repeated reading might "wear out" the media, as has been suggested.

Optical, of course is better. I've used it in the past and never had a
problem with it. Never a dead piece of media. Wish I could say the same for
JAZZ, ZIP, CD-R, tape or even Bernoullli media. But, optical is a pain: not
used by many, hard to find media, expensive equipment, etc...  So, for now,
I use CD-R, name brand that claims to last a long time, and make duplicates,
storing one set off-site (not a storage building, climate there can
damage -- try a safe deposit box, shelf at your parents or kid's house,
etc...).