Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 22:43:03 -0400
At 03:35 PM 8/3/99 -0600, you wrote:
>> >Yep. I've seen many examples of multiple invasion of cells by maternal
>> >mites, which must allow for cross fertilisation between the progeny.
>>
>> These maternal mites are most likely "sisters".
>
>But not necessarily.
>
>> So inbreeding is still the case.

Ok maybe (and only maybe) its a "one in a million" chance! Because, it also
appears that the female mites "filter" the DNA that is passed on!

Again from my understanding of the mite biology and the reports of recent
DNA tests there appears to be only two strains of mites in North America
(and I think that the second strain is in the AHB coming up from South
America). These mites do not have a lot of genes to start with so genetic
diversity is going to be smaller than what an insect would have. Add in the
normal method of reproduction that results in "clones"  then top it off
with the indications that the females "filter" out "bad" DNA and it begins
to look like they "desire" inbreeding!

It was clearly stated that the mites resistant to Apistan did not appear to
have any genetic difference to the general population of mites. In fact it
was a bit of a mystery as to how the mites were dealing with the toxin!  It
could very well be the case that there is an existing gene in the mites
that is "turned on" when exposed to low levels of the toxin in question. (I
would not be surprised if the mites are not being "cured" as a result of
something in the hemolymph of the host bees!)

In a bit of a side note, (and again if I am recalling this right) the
tracheal mite only has four genes to start with.

In a second side note, keeping with the subject, the EPA just outlawed two
more pesticides in the same family as Coumaphos. A lawsuit is being filed
against the EPA due to there slow moving in outlawing the more toxic
pesticides.