Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2008 19:19:23 -0800
I agree, Peter.

> If the colony is Queenless: position changes little regarding the rate at
> which the material is consumed - relatively slow/ total disregard.

This is one of the huge advantages of patty feeding.  If patties are placed
on hives in an early quick round, on a subsequent visit, deciding which
colonies are fine and which need work is simple.  That means there is no
need to disturb the good colonies, but attention can be focused on those
which have not consumed patties.  The savings in labour and colony
disturbance alone pay for the patties.  Plus, the bees do better -- the ones
that ate them, at least.

> Before a natural spring shedding of pollen, a one pound patty will be
> munched away over several days. Onset of supply of natural material may
> seriously slow down or effectively halt consumption. As ever, there are
> colony examples where this is not the case - they continue as if no
> natural supply is available!

I have never noticed any reluctance to consume patties right through to the
end of June.  Each area and operator is different.  I suspect that they
would be eaten in July and August some places, and the idea of feeding in
the entrance makes this potentially feasible.

> Where queens are laying in expansion stage and in a period of inclement
> weather (Climate) - the bees will make quick service of a one pound
> affair.

Too fast.  Most people simply do not pile enough on to ensure the bees never
run short.  Running short can result in brood cannibalization.

> The higher the pollen content - the more vigour shown in consumption.

Yup.  The downside is that if you have fast consumption and don't get back
in time, the bees are sitting waiting -- and eating their brood.  Why won't
beekeepers acknowledge and deal with this fact?  Fast consumption is NOT a
good thing -- if food supply is not continuous.  Feed often and feed lots,
or use slower consumption patties.

> Dry powder delivery in open barrels appears to be very attractive on good
> flying days during early spring - until natural pollen appears on the
> scene. After which there is a definite reduction in forager numbers.

Yes.  Drums on their sides, and used as shelters, I assume?

> Actual proof that patties deliver what increase in bee longitivity - can
> only say that colonies during spring build up with a healthy vigour.

Hard to prove such things.  Several years of improved success is an
indicator, but not rigorous proof.

> This fall, some splits were done a little too late. Combined with a poor
> nectar /pollen flow they did not get to a stage where they are expected to
> survive. Lack of winter bees. They were supplied with ample sucrose feed
> and patty material but did not develop.

In Canada, splits after July 31st are just a matter of luck.  One year I was
very lucky and so went whole-hog the next year.  I got slapped -- 50% losses
on those splits!

Never again.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/spring/unwrap.htm
---
I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it.
Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826), (attributed