From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:01:55 -0400
Mae said "I am appreciative of those who post with geographical location; it is
crucial to gleaning practices we can use in a similar climate."

True, knowing climate is crucial to evaluating practices.  However, knowing geographic location sometimes is not an indication of climate.  For example, few in the US would think that Seattle or Vancouver climate would be similar to that of Maine, yet latitude alone would indicate that.  In a similar vein, judged solely by latitude most of Sweden would be uninhabitable as is most of Canada north of Hudson's Bay.  Yet, most of Sweden is far warmer than here in mid-New York State.

When discussing practices appropriate to climate I try to give normal winter low temperatures (-20 F or 30 C), and winter humidity levels (10%-15%) as those are critical.  Perhaps I should also give normal summer highs (90-95 F or 32-35 C) and summer humidity (85%-95%), but these seem less critical to beekeeping practices.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturer of round comb honey equipment and Sundance pollen traps