From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:46:49 -0400
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:08:13 -0400, Kim Flottum <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I do not know who Brian Fredericksen is, but I do have trouble with his
>recent post on this list.

i'm just some jackpine hillbilly with bee hives in the northern tundra of america and a computer
hookup.

lets see about my claim of reports of reports.

page 107 bee journal feb 07 in world honey market quotes a report.

page 181 bee journal march 07 "News Notes" quotes two reports, also page 199 nice piece by
Chuck Norton who mostly quotes published reports.

page 63 bee culture march 2007 appears to be entirely from published reports circulated widely.

so maybe I should not have included bee culture. sorry for that, just one report of a report. my
main point in that post was to get people to think and not just beleive everything in the media
because its in print or on TV, not to discredit the bee mags.

we desperately need some other views in print on this topic, in the last week the BBC and german
publication Spiegel published grossly inaccurate reports of 35% and 70% losses nationwide in USA.
Do you see an out of control story here? Some might use words like mania or hysteria, especailly
when it comes to the scope of losses and the latest weirdo ideas of the cause.  Who will set the
record straight on the losses? have you written to the editors of these publications to call foul? I
have....and asked for their source on the losses...

Pick up any regional newspaper and read the latest nonsense of dead hives that by golly must be
CCD.  Some of it is truly funny and entertaining.

IMO most of whats in print to date is speculative, inaccurate or a report of a report. I really am
concerned about CCD and would like to hear some credible new information that answers my
questions. I'm just not seeing it so far....

I'll be looking for a balanced article on CCD soon in upcoming issues of both Bee Mags, or would
there be political implications for either publication to question the accuracy of reports relative to
CCD as I have?

I mean you must have to keep your sources happy. The ads must generate most of the income. I
wonder how some of the advertisers would sit with a story critical of the reporting on CCD? or
question whether the industry has self inflicted problems on themselves and then blame CCD? I
sense a political correctness in the industry relative to  CCD, like support the troops.

I'm sure these types of issues are real in the publication of any industry journal and one must be
sensitive to them. Would I expect an industry publication to question and beat to a pulp every
claim made concerning CCD?...no realistically probably not, thats what the internet is for these
days.

Me I have no one to answer to so I can call it as I see it ....and gladly take the heat...bring it on. I'm
here to learn, question and share, not blindly take in all reports as truth, epecially when most lack
the neccessary factual proof we need to have a rational discussion on CCD.

btw I feel both publications are invaluable to all beekeepers, I subscribe to them, read them, pass
them on and encourage other beekeepers to subscribe.......even if reports of reports are
occasionally utilized.