From:
GAVIN RAMSAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Dec 2011 13:19:35 +0000
We've started mapping the Varroa-free areas in Scotland.  There are surprisingly large areas still Varroa-free in the west and north given that we've had Varroa for many years.

http://www.sbai.org.uk/varroamapping/

The areas still free are that way for a number of reasons.  Beekeepers are scattered in these areas and the narrow strips of suitable land around the edges of sea lochs and islands, broken by natural barriers, help reduce spread.  We know that infected stock has been taken into these areas on several occasions but - especially with beginner beekeepers who don't know what they are doing - the stocks have died out and the Varroa with them.  Where there are more people and therefore more beekeepers and bees (or feral colonies in some places), and also where beekeepers treat their bees to keep them alive, these infestations become self-sustaining.

The Isle of Lewis was found to have Varroa a couple of years ago due to the actions of more than one beginner who was supplied by traders (plural) who didn't care about introducing the mite to new areas.  Generally those bringing in introduced bees haven't discussed it with local beekeepers and don't know the implications of doing so.  This attempt to map Varroa-free areas is largely to help provide information to encourage people not to move risky bees to Varroa-free areas.

Some of the local associations in these Varroa-free areas have been strongly promoting the risk of introducing bees from infested areas, coupled with trying hard to provide stocks locally to those who need them.  This, of course, will also have the effect of helping preserve remaining populations of our native Apis mellifera mellifera which across large parts of its range has been replaced or heavily mixed with imported types of honeybee from elsewhere.  The traded bees are often highly bred and so are attractive in the short term to many beekeepers but usually end up in an unsatisfactory mongrelised mix when crossed with the locals.  But that's another story ...

The spread of Varroa was rapid across much of the Scottish lowlands.  Government fairly quickly dropped measures to try to contain it as its full spread was seen as inevitable.  It is only recently that we have realised that there are still large areas free of the mite.  The beekeepers in those areas are really keen to keep it that way, and some of them have been cooperating with researchers who are keen to investigate Varroa-free and Varroa-infested colony and bee health so there is scientific benefit too.

best wishes

Gavin