From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 09:20:53 -0700
Alyn W. Ashworth wrote:

> On the other hand, a lot of work has been done on improving hive
> ventilation, for example with open mesh floors. Does anyone know of any well-researched conclusions?

        Most of our colonies are on standard bottom boards with the 3/8"X2 1/2"
entrance and a 3/8"X 1" upper entrance as mentioned before. We also run
several hundred hives with screened bottoms. There entrance is 3/4" X
14", quite large. They also have upper ventilation. This is an extream
differance with regard to ventilation. If there was a significant
advantage to ventilation I should be able to see some improvement in
production. We have detailed production records for 14 years and cannot
see any differance between the two styles of hives.
        In very warm weather (for Western New York - about 85-95F) bees will
cluster on the front of each style hive equally. This my sound contrary
to reason, I have no idea why its this way, and yet thats what we see
here.