Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 06:46:25 -0400
We had a long discussion some time back on honey and allergies. There was a
study that showed no direct link between taking honey and a change in
tolerance to certain pollens. This was in spite of many who swear by honey
and that it helps "cure" their allergies and a prior less rigorous study by
the same person that showed the opposite.. I think I am beginning to figure
out the difference in the anecdotal and scientific observations.

I have had a tickling in the back of my throat recently which comes and goes
and is more an irritant than a problem. A friend of mine also said he had
the same problem and when I mentioned it to my wife, who suffers acutely
from allergies, she said, "Oh, that's just the pollen in the air. I have
that problem all the time." Consumer's Reports (as well as about every folk
medicine book around) recommends honey for throat problems, especially in
place of store bought sprays and the like..

Last night I turned on the window fan and immediately had the throat tickle,
so tried a teaspoon of honey. Immediate relief.

So it might be that those of us who have a very low grade intolerance to
pollen, and tree pollen is currently heavy here in Maine, do get relief
mostly by honeys ability to coat the throat and remove irritation. While
those with more pronounced allergic reactions only get that but nothing
more. Still have the runny nose, sneezing and other problems. The honey is
treating one symptom, so you have some relief, but it is by no means a
"desensitizer" to local pollen.

A reasoned guess, not a scientific study.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine