From:
"Carl H. Powell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 00:03:00 -0500
Hello,
Next Monday the Tidewater Beekeepers Assoc. meets and I was charged in
November with finding information on sources of and reported outcomes of
use of Essential Oils as a mite preventative/cure. So far I have contacted
some suppliers who all agreed that this was a good thing and provided me
with information on available sources, prices etc. I have also been reading
and the concensus is that the use of essential oils in the bee hive is a
liability hazard for the beekeeper and the industry. The use is unproven
by scientific method and illegal by EPA standards (use of a chemical in
a manner inconsistent with its labeling). The only chemical that would be
close to being an 'accepted' essential oil would be menthol and that would
be only when used as labled. I found that even TM patties are technically
illegal (not EPA approved method of application per ABC&XYZ of Bee Culture
40th Ed.). I also realize that there are beekeepers who have used essential
oils under various methods of application and that there is 'anecdotal'
evidence that in some cases it does work. Similar questions have been raised
about the major market product 'Mite Solution' which has also not passed
EPA approval.
        If you use or have used either Essential Oils or 'Mite Solution' in
or with your bees could you please send me an e-mail directly to
[log in to unmask] with your personal results of use and a brief description
of your application method. Please send these responses under the subject
line of "Essential Oil results...". I will be compiling your responses to add
to the information from the printed materials for our meeting.

Thank You,
Carl Powell
[log in to unmask]      Tidewater,Va.

PS
Please do NOT send all these replies through Bee-L...

"Mite Solution" is a trademark of Tuttle Apiary Labs, Woodland, WA.
Cp

... "Oh gross!  He's wearing a sports bra!" -- Tom Servo

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20