From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:23:23 -0600
Hello All,
Six months ago I predicted on BEE-L a collapse of U.S. commercial beehives.
My exact words were:

"Tens of thousands of hives of hives crashing"

My post brought a roar of disbelief on BEE-L.

An article in the January 2005 issue (vol. 33 no. 1) of Bee Culture by
Dewayne Lumpkin used the following statement (by Bob Harrison) to start his
very informative article:

"tens of thousands of hives crashing" was the subject line that dominated
BEE-L's message boards through much of October & early November" .

I received the American Beekeeping Federation (ABF) newsletter a couple days
ago and again my statement used by my friend Troy Fore.

"The ABF has asked Congress for a 100% increase in federal bee research
funding in an effort to find  a solution to the deaths of TENS OF THOUSANDS
OF BEE COLONIES THIS WINTER. "

I must say now as I have before on BEE-L and to those which have sent emails
asking to quote from my BEE-L posts in various publications. Please do but
please quote correctly. Both Dewayne & Troy  have written excellent articles
for Bee Culture & the ABF newsletter. Right on target!

Many have critisized me for being a presenter of "doom & gloom".

Ignoring a problem never solved a problem!

 Others have sent a email similar to one I received tonight which touched my
heart and sparked this post:

Hi Bob,
I retired from my job recently & am looking for things to do. My hobby is
beekeeping . Do you need anyone to proofread your articles? Do you have
anything else I can help with?
Sincerely,
Name withheld by me

The ABF is seeking funding for the USDA-ARS to employ 16 new scientists,
including two geneticists,two molecular biologists ,and two computational
biologists.

The current administrations answer is to cut funding to the bee labs by
$640,000.

I have been told you can find out how you can help at the ABF website:

www.ABFnet.org  if you are not a ABF member and getting the ABF newsletter
which provides Congress contact information provided by Mr. Troy Fore.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison