From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:40:06 -0400
>Actually, I would disagree. I wrote about this very topic in one of my
Bee Journal articles. Joe Graham complimented me for presenting a
simple easy way for beekeepers to make splits and raise queens.

Could be you are right.  I'm thinking historically to when the mags were
the propaganda arm of the beekeeping manufacturers and queen
manufacturers.  In those days, beekeeping was a profitable mass
market.  Lately, I think the mags publish is whatever will sell the
subscriptions. Some of what I see could be a good fit in The world
News or National Enquirer.

>What ABJ and Gleanings prefer is how-to articles aimed at their core
audience which is backyard beekeepers and small timers. These are
not trade journals.

Not much money in serving the trade.  There are only a few thousand
real pros -- at the most.

>Apidologie and The Journal of Apicultural Research have a whole
different type of article and readership. I don't know what most of the
thousand hivers read. Anybody care to say?

BEE-L?  Probably not, but you might be surprised who gets  CCed with
anything good.

Actually, I think most of the biggies keep their own council and network
with others of their group.  A few (the ones who can read) look over all
the literature and if there is -- once in a while -- a good idea, it gets
passed around.