From:
Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2012 22:16:16 -0400
Bill T. wrote: >>>>>>>> Again, the problem with distributing the dose is
that the bee that feeds from the feeder gets the full dose and not 1/80,000
of the dose. So you cannot distribute the dose. Every bee that feeds has
been overdosed  (if 400ppb then by a factor of 200x natural) so they will
die. Keep at it and you gradually overdose every bee and deplete the numbers
that are feeding.< <<<<<

As I read, my head jumped out of the box for a moment. I've always
considered the honey stomach as a sort of carryall. Most of the time it's
usual job is to carry nectar from one place to another. The "feeding"  would
occur once in awhile as a few drops were allowed to move further
(proventriculus?) into the digestive tract to renew energy. If sugar water
were being moved 8" from the feeder to a cell that's a lot less energy
required than to move nectar from the field.  Ergo: Foragers from the field
will get more poison into them as they need to "digest" much more for
energy. I don't think the walls of the honey stomach are porous.

Jerry:  You get around this as long as the bees your intern is feeding are
not saving it to deposit later. I assume the injections went directly into
the hemolymph?

Dick Marron