From:
Ted Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2014 14:11:52 -0500
I see parallels in the neonic debate with the debate over tobacco. Goggling the history of the latter I came across this:

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/16/6/1070.long

Which says:

“If the past 50 years have taught us anything, it is that the tobacco industry cannot be trusted to put the public's interest above their profits no matter what they say. (Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2007;16(6):1070–6)”

I note the Australian report on neonics includes the caveat: “If more information comes to light which suggests that there may be a concern…..” The same caveat was used for years by health regulators while they did nothing to warn the public about the danger of tobacco.

I agree with the suggestion that honey bees are low on the priority list of today’s farmers. But I am surprised by the argument that the ‘one size fits all’  treatment protocol offered by today’s pesticide manufactures is ok because it is, “capitalism at work”.

If the federal government told farmers they all had to plant the same seeds treated with the same pesticide using the same dose, farmers would have a hairy conniption fit. Yet when industry does this, we are all “oky doky, after all, what do I know? I’m just happy to be safe in the arms of capitalism at work.”

Maybe I'm too cynical but I see danger in that approach.