From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2011 09:46:02 -0600
?
> >>We'll get invaded eventually, but we're doing the best we can to head
> such an invasion off as long as possible.<<

Florida started the swarm traps in Florida back when L. Cutts was in charge.
Many African swarms were trapped and destroyed.

Traps were used all the way up from Brazil to try and stop the movement of
AHB northward. Did not work. The method proposed by Horace Bell was ignored
which in my opinion would have eliminated the movement or at least slowed to
a crawl.(in archives)

Of course the whole AHB issue has been overhyped from the start. Even many
beekeepers in the U.S. still shake in their boots when AHB is talked about.
AHB is way down at the bottom of the list of concerns of current commercial
beekeepers lists of beekeeping problems but makes for discussion on internet
lists.

Was the millions spent by the U.S. on the AHB issue worth the cost? Did all
the AHb research stop the arrival of true scuts in Florida? Will the swarm
traps stop other port swarms. Maybe not all but certainly better spent tax
payer funds than the $250,000 given to Dr. Orley Taylor to observe nucs of
AHB in Mexico. All beekeepers learned from the Taylor, Spivak & others
research were that these bees were aggressive.

Dr. Kerr told us all we really needed to know back in the fifties.

At least looking back I can point out the stupidity of the way the U.S. has
handled past beekeeping problems.

Maybe in another year or two *if* the USDA has not solved hives crashing I
can post *my opinion* as to the way the whole CCD issue was bungled without
being acussed of dissing researchers instead of taking a serious look at the
flawed thinking involved at the time.

bob