From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 17:02:23 -0400
On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 09:47:32 -0500, Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hello Ron & All
>
>> consequences are for the colonies when they are deprived of the
>pollen for longer periods?
>
>Collecting pollen has had little effect on the bees from my experience.

I had several hundred traps at one time, and I agree. The traps aren't all
that efficient -- I think the bees learn how to negotiate them. But if the
pollen intake is cut back, the bees just assign more foragers to pollen
collection. Furthermore, they seem to stop gathering pollen when they feel
they have enough. Unlike honey collection, which continues long after they
have gained enough for many winters.

pb