From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 20:05:54 -0800
--- On Mon, 12/5/11, Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Like Dee I have always led by example in advocating
> replacing contaminated
> comb in hives

reply;
Nice you have always done this. For it is a must in today's world.

continuing:
> I believe replacing comb does not cost but pays. Dee will
> not use wax other than her own and last we talked will not use plastic.

reply:
Yep, am selfcontained and like it. But while I personally don't use the plastic for the most part having enough Small Cell comb of own to work with (and do give to others at times), I do advocate fast regressing down to natural sizing with Honey Super Cell available from simpsons and lapps for starting nucs from swarms, package LC bees, and shakedowns. Then with change over done in 90-120 days you go on with either foundation or foundationless and pull the plastic out until another hive to start, but not kept in for long term....

continuing:
> My hypothesis on varroa control is control by knocking
> varroa back as needed and not attempting to get 100% control.Unlike Dee I think I need to treat when varroa loads climb or see serious hive loss.

reply;
Dunno here Bob, as it would make for continuous problems long term. To me it's faster to simply let the weak go and move on with the strong hives that can, but then I am selfcontained and in working hives up, am picky as to how worked, and combs arranged in sequence,for both size and type, for being in tune with Nature, with culling between the broodnest area and honeysupers, and it  does make a big difference believe me.

continuing:
> Sad to report ALL my survivor hives in the "leave alone
> yard" all died of became "dinks" and dwindled and then died.

reply;
Sorry to hear that Bob. But then it shows you need to make another adjustment to what and how you do things too. But you'll get there with time .........knowing you!

continuing:
> I admire the clean wax and no chemicals philosophy but for
> now I will stay on an easier method in my opinion which is clean wax and IPM.

reply;
Dunno Bob, as IPM is old business as normal to me and old start to road to hell.........  but since you changed combs once before, might want to consider doing it again to get rid of tick problems. But your call for doing. and of course I am meaning going to 4.9mm top tolerance and no bigger for core or broodnest. and culled of drones to no more then 10-15%.

Best Regards,

Dee