From:
Robert Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:32:47 +1200
Chuck Wettergreen asked:
>Do queen bee pheromones affect humans?

        This is an open question.  It has not been answered by fact.
Nobody should assert any answer.

Chuck is unduly modest about it:
>I've wanted to ask this question, but didn't want to
>appear foolish.  Well, guess you all can have a good
>laugh. :?>)

        I doubt anyone will produce any reason to laugh.
The past half-century in toxicology and other fields of chemical effects on
Homo the Sap can be viewed as a steady stream of discoveries that, when
suitably sensitive detection is applied, humans are indeed affected by
smaller doses of this or that chemical than had previously seemed plausible.

        Having said that, I must point out that Chuck's fabulous calm may
be of entirely psychological origins.   It is indeed a wonderful, humbling
experience to mangle the whole home of that insect which is capable of
retaliating with severe pain to us, while wearing no protective gear,
acting in faith that the bees can tell we're acting for their good.
        My own working model, devoid of scientific basis, is to assume
1  If I take it easy, going with the flow of the propolis so as not to
cause jolts, etc etc, my sweat will smell reassuring to the bees rather
than any flavour of fear that could be confused with aggression.
2   They can read my mind; they can tell my intentions are good for them.

        It is a matter of faith, isn't it?

-
Robt Mann
consultant ecologist
   P O Box 28878  Remuera, Auckland 1005, New Zealand
                (9) 524 2949