From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2010 19:16:31 -0400
Quote:

> Since TPTB (the powers that be) can't seem to figure out the problem (or solution) it seems to be up to us.  I could mutter about 'deriliction of duty' but whats the point

Well, you did mutter about dereliction, so I feel compelled to respond. The folks at Penn State are working hard on the multitude of problems, but as they say: there is no silver bullet. Certainly not ascorbic acid, though no one doubts that nutrition is a very important part of health. But what have they been doing with all the money? A lot, I'd say. But if they haven't gotten to the bottom of it, it's not for lack of effort.

The Pollinator Crisis

• Multiple factors:

– Pathogens

– Parasites

– Pesticides

– Management practices

– Landscape ecology (habitat fragmentation, climate change, monocropping)

• No “silver bullet” solution

Penn State’s Role

• Multiple research, teaching and extension faculty focused on pollinators

• PA beekeeper David Hackenberg contacted Penn State and PA Dept of Ag in winter 2006/7; first documented case of CCD

• First outcome was a 2007 Science paper describing association of IAPV with CCD (Cox-Foster, vanEngelsdorp)

• Followed by collaborative effort to study phenomenon and inform public, growers, beekeepers, and policy makers

• In Fall 2009, formally established the Center for Pollinator Research

Center for Pollinator Research

• Mission: developing and implementing integrative, multidisciplinary approaches to improving pollinator health, conservation, and management for ecosystems services through research, education, outreach and policy.

• Funding: 2008-2010, > $8 million in funds

– Government: NSF, NSF-BREAD, USDA-AFRI, USDA-ARS, USDAAPHIS, NE-SARE, US Agency for International Development, US-Israel Binational Science Foundation, Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture

– Non-profit groups: Project Apis M and the Foundation for the Preservation of Honey Bees

– Industry-supported groups: the National Honey Board and the California Almond Board

– Corporate and private: Häagen Dazs, the O’Keeffe Foundation, Wyman's  of Maine, Anthropologie/Urban Outfitters, Whole Foods, Dutch Gold Honey, beekeeper groups and numerous private donors.

• Local level

– Together with PA Master Gardeners program develop info packets and Pollinator Garden Certification Program

– Developed pollinator gardens at the Shaver’s Creek Environmental Center and the Arboretum at Penn State

– Native bee survey and ID guide for Pennsylvania

• National level

– advised the EPA on standards for pesticide applications

– served as science advisors to the National Honey Bee Advisory Board

– steering committees of the national CCD Task Force and the North American Pollinator Protection Campaign.

– Testified before the United States Congress on CCD in honey bees

• International level:

– Numerous collaborations worldwide (Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Italy, Israel, Kenya, Mexico, Nepal, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom)

– Recently funded NSF-BREAD grant

• Gates and NSF joint program to aid agriculture in developing nations

• One of 15 grants funded nationwide

• Partnership with the International Centre for Insect Physiology and Ecology in Nairobi, Kenya

• Characterize and mitigate the impact of Varroa introduction on honey bee populations