From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:06:13 -0500
>Far more plausible to bring bees in from Canada

I agree and have always thought Canada the first choice. However those
interested in opening the Mexico border care little what i think.

>Plenty of hives up there to pollinate with.

surveys have been run asking the number of Canada beekeepers willing to
bring bees to almonds and last I heard only about a third of what was needed
last season were available. Sure opening the Canada border would ease the
problem but not solve the problem. The next three years is when the almond
demand really jumps!

>I assume the issue is not bringing them to the US but taking them back.

The border was open for years without problems. Free movement was done for
years without problems other than Canada beeks not wanting to let U.S.
commercial beeks again access to the Peace River honey areas and being able
to bid on Canada pollination contracts.

*In my opinion* the *main* reason the border is not open today revolves
around Canada beeks not wanting U.S. beeks to bring bees into Canada for
honey & pollination.

My advice to Canada beeks reading:
Now is the time to get the border open. Push now before the Mexican border
opens. Several goals would be accomplished.
1. the move would temporally stop the Mexico border opening. Why is this
important to you?
Under WTO the Mexicans next move could  be to push for access to your honey
areas & pollination under fair trade WTO rules. You CANNOT compete with the
Mexicans in a price war.

Money dropped in the right places trumps what is right. Smart lawyers can
open doors.

2. You would get access to Southern U.S. winter locations. Winter in the
south and you will never want to winter in Canada again! Seriously!
Beekeeping in Canada has not kept pace with U.S. migratory beekeeping. Bob
Brandi told me once he rents most his hives 10-11 times a year. In Florida
5-6 honey flows a year is not uncommon.

Access to U.S. almond, apple and other pollinations. Longer times for honey
crops. many beeks are retiring and a honey crop can be made in the U.S.
almost every month of the year if you do your homework. Sugar prices
continue to rise. You can split a hive six times a year in certain areas.

3. Once the Mexican border is open U.S. pollination prices will fall  and
then you will have missed out on making serious bucks in the U.S.. Think
about it. Six months out of the year you are not making income.
You bees are sitting idle. You can run half the hives in the U.S. migratory
and make twice the money per hive per year. Cut your feed bill by 70% by
wintering in the south ( and work on your tan at the same time)

I consider the Mexican border opening as a serious threat to U.S. beekeeping
and our national security!
I do believe the border will open in time. However hopefully not any time
soon!

bob