From:
Jon Bucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2014 17:45:48 -0500
I read Randy's study and enjoyed it. It is what got me thinking. I fed Mega Bee all summer. The commercial formulations are proprietary though...We don't know what they contain or in what ratios.

So far I see two things in DeGroot that peak my curiosity: One is a (supersaturated) solution of sugar and protein.  This prevents spitting out the protein. Would that be good? It might be harmful. In humans excessive protein can ruin the kidneys. What is excessive? What effect on bees?

Another thought was winter diet. Would a higher fat diet provide calories without producing as much water vapor and condensation as carbs? I always thought a higher fat diet would be better than complex carbs ( starch, spaghetti ) for high altitude athletics. We use it in pulmonary patients to lower RQ ( CO2 production).

Random thoughts

JB