From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 2015 15:14:02 +0000
I like Pete's comment about "Something along the lines of a more integral, positive relationship where it's not mankind and nature, but rather nature (of which we are a part)."

I think the best part of the GMO article is where Millstein explains the differences among GMOs.  They are not all the same, yet many people want to treat them as all the same.

GMOs are part of the environment now, and so that relates to the first article...why should we care?  If we take a position on an issue, for instance "no GMOs" then we have to do our homework and know what we are talking about.  There is no functional comparison, in my mind, between a GMO rice that has a vitamin A gene in it, and Bt corn, that has an insecticidal toxin in it.  I'm impatient with activists who don't take the time to understand this basic difference.

I am impressed with the great accomplishments in agriculture that the USA has been part of for several decades now.  That doesn't mean I just trust that the handful of people engaged in large-scale agriculture are making all the right decisions.

We are a part of nature.  So we have to be careful what we do....it's easier to make a mess than to clean it up.

Christina